Kutaisi State Historical Museum


Visit Guide to Kutaisi State Historical Museum

Kutaisi Historical and Ethnographic Museum houses various archives, including personal archives of public figures (Kirill Lortkipanidze, Giorgi Zdanovich, Alexander Garsevanishvili, Dimitri Nazarishvili, Davit Meskhi, Triphon Japaridze, and others) and Photos of XIX-XX cc.

Main image: 三猎, CC BY-SA 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Getting There

You can use public transport, hire a private car, or taxi.

What to Expect

Kutaisi Historical and Ethnographical Museum was founded in 1912. At first, the collection was placed at the home of Grigol Gvelesiani, a museum administrator. In 1922, the Historical-ethnographical Museum was founded on the basis of this collection. In 1948, the museum was relocated to today’s building (Tbilisi str. N1) – The two-floor house, built in the 1860s, was the property of Prince Nicolas Eristavi. The building took its final form after the reconstruction in the 1940s.


According to “Matiane Kartlisai” Bagrat III gathered representatives of different parts of Georgia and invited guests from around the world for the celebration of the blessing of Bagrat III temple. The inscription near the north window of the building gives us  the exact date of construction of the church – The church was built in 1003 A.C.