Visit Guide to Frunze House-Museum

The M. V. Frunze House-Museum is a historical memorial complex located in the very center of Bishkek. The museum tells about the childhood and youth of the brave commander and military strategist Mikhail Frunze.

Getting There

The museum is located almost in the very center of Bishkek, not far from the Oak Park and the Government House and the Ministry of Finance. Can be reached by public transport, taxi.

What to Expect

It was in the capital of Kyrgyzstan that the courageous commander and military strategist M.V. Frunze spent his childhood and youth, whose merits for the state during the Civil War in Soviet Russia, 1918–1922 can hardly be overestimated. It is worth recalling that once the city of Bishkek was even called the name of the commander.

The museum stores more than 10 thousand exhibits, as of 2014. For the most part, these are genuine items and things, including clothes, photographs and documents, dishes, furniture, library collections and much more. All this was donated to the museum by the relatives and friends of M. V. Frunze. The museum contains orders, awards, medals, weapons that once belonged to Mikhail Vasilyevich, as well as works of painting, sculpture and literature dedicated to the famous commander.

In addition to the permanent exhibition, the museum also regularly hosts thematic events and meetings, temporary and travelling exhibitions at other sites dedicated to a specific event, and interactive installations.

You can find a detailed poster of upcoming events on the website of the house-museum


The house-museum of M. V. Frunze is considered one of the oldest museums in Bishkek. In 1926, in a small family home where Mikhail Vasilievich was born, an exhibition of his personal belongings was organized – it was part of the exposition of the Museum of Kyrgyzstan. In 1937, he was given the name “Museum of the Revolution named after M.V. Frunze” From 1940 to the present day it has been the “M. V. Frunze House-Museum”.

The museum in its current form appeared in 1967. It was erected around the very small adobe hut in which Frunze spent his childhood. This hut became the central object of the museum exposition and is located on the first floor inside a new four-story building made of glass and concrete. The exposition area of ​​the house-museum has increased from 240 sq. meters up to 2000.

Facilities Available

Nearby attractions:

  • Oak park
  • Erkindik Boulevard
  • National Historical Museum
  • Restaurants and cafes
  • Opera and Ballet Theater
  • House of government, ministries and departments